Reports to: Director,
Metabolite Core Facility
Profiling Core Facility is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated individual who
is interested in supporting metabolism-based research projects in a variety of
experimental models through the use of liquid-chromatography mass-spectrometry.
high-quality and professional support to our liquid-chromatography
mass-spectrometry platform by analyzing metabolomics data. May supervise
Technical Assistants in the design and performance of LCMS methods. Summarizes all experimental data to assist in
determining which research methods best support the major scientific
initiatives. Uses discretion to work independently under the guidance of Core
Director in order to achieve group's overall goals. Works as part of a team to ensure
high-quality data in a state-of-the-art and fast-paced laboratory.
- Analyzes targeted and untargeted metabolomics data.
- In consultation with the Core Director, coordinates and
oversees several varied experiments that support the overall goals of a
and reports data for scientific use with the potential to contribute to
scientific publications, consult scientific literature as needed.
the progress and results of various experiments and projects, summarizes and
reports. results to Core Director.
users on analysis software used by the Core.
- Assists the
Core Director with analysis workflow development and update of SOPs.
and curates in-house compound database and spectral library.
with LCMS method development for small molecule detection where needed.
to problem solving, addresses complex technical problems and performs system
- Assists the
Core Director by participating in and leading sections in metabolomics
supervise Technical Assistants/entry-level personnel.
supports colleagues with sample preparation, and basic machine
- Helps implement any changes in protocols or methods, trains
lab personnel on new methodologies.
- May interact with vendors to investigate novel supplies and
- Bachelor's degree in biology or related field required or
equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have 2 years of experience working
full-time in a research laboratory.
(Master's degree, at least one year of directly related, full time lab
experience). Familiarity with basic metabolomics pipeline (including sample
preparation, basic LC-MS operation, and data analysis).
- Experience analyzing high-resolution, accurate-mass spectrometry
- Excellent written and oral communication skills,
strong organizational skills required.
- Knowledge of various spectral libraries (e.g METLIN/
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and
the desire to work in a service-orientated environment.
- Flexibility and willingness to learn new
- Experience with publishing or presenting
experimental results highly desirable.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience with Thermo's LCMS data analysis software
suite (Xcalibur/SII, Trace Finder, Compound Discoverer, Lipid Search).
- Experience in using R, Python or other programing
languages to analyze data.
- Experience using Sirius or other AI software to
identify unknown metabolites.