Microscopy Facility Manager/Director
Classification: Exempt; Administrative Staff
Reports To: Principal
Investigator, Dr. Iain Cheeseman
The Light Microscopy Facility Manager/Director oversees all
core facility operations including space, safety, equipment and affiliated
software and peripherals, creating accounts, overseeing of usage tracking
system, billing, inventory and ordering of supplies, data management, budget,
customer satisfaction, and oversight of Keck Facility staff, including a Light
Microscopy Imaging Specialist. The manager will perform all duties in
accordance with Whitehead Institute's behavioral standards, mission, values,
- Provide consultation on experimental design and expert
technical assistance to Keck users and Whitehead researchers.
- Orient new users to the facility and facility policies.
- Provide thorough training to users (grad students, post
docs, faculty, research staff) in basic microscopy theory and practical
operation of equipment.
- Maintain records of use and training and compile reports as
needed or requested.
- Ensure timely backup of essential data.
- Prepare, review and revise written training materials,
policies and protocols.
- Maintain proper inventory and order supplies.
- Perform weekly and as-needed maintenance of equipment,
perform as-needed equipment troubleshooting and facilitate service and repair
in a timely manner.
- Interact with vendors and engineers.
- Perform demos and facility tours as needed.
- Prepare yearly budget narrative, including use statistics
and cost and billing evaluations
- Remain current with trends, equipment and software in the
field through reading, attending seminars, trade shows and visits to other core
- Attend and participate in one related professional
conference on an annual basis.
- Proactively consider ways to improve the facility service
and operations to provide the highest quality microscopy support and service to
the community. Welcome customer feedback and take follow up action to enhance
and improve services as may be needed.
- Other items as deemed necessary by the Faculty oversight,
Whitehead administration or Keck staff or deemed beneficial by the Keck
Masters, or PhD in biological and/or physical sciences or a related discipline,
or equivalent experience. PhD required for Director title.
- 5 -7 years' experience working in a biomedical research
laboratory preferred with understanding of lab techniques, principles of cell
biology and light microscopy.
- A working knowledge of design, theory and functioning of
instrumentation and how instrumentation can support research goals as put forth
- Drive and ability to stay current on, and apply advances in
the field of light microscopy that can enhance research locally, and support
faculty, research support staff and students, by assisting and training them to
carry out advanced microscopy techniques in support of their studies.
- Strong computer and record keeping skills for maintaining an
up to date facility database and web site.
- Strong written and verbal communications, interpersonal and
customer service skills.
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- The ability to work independently under deadlines with
minimal guidance, and to work as a team member.
- Excellent administrative and operational skills.
- Must be flexible and demonstrate good skills in instruction
- Ability to work independently and with all levels of
Institute and outside staff.